Thursday, December 22, 2011

Taco Soup


If I was told that I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life I would without a doubt say tacos! There is no way you can go wrong with them and once you add in all the extras you can change it up so many times there is no way you would ever eat the same taco twice. Taco love does not only consume me in our house it also extends to my husband and daughter but there comes a time when you have to change things up so when I saw this recipe I knew it was the time. Finding this recipe could not have come at a better time because luck for us Texans we had a cool front roll through and soup was the perfect comfort to the chilly raining night that was last night.
This soup is thick and kind of reminds me of a chili, plus you can add any of your traditional taco toppings to it. It makes a pretty good pot full. All three of us had it for dinner last night and my husband and I had it for lunch today (it was even better the second time around once the spices got to set) and there is still at least two servings left.

Taco Soup:

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium size onion chopped to your preferred size
1 can of chili beans, undrained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can corn, undrained ( if you are looking for a little more spice the fiesta corn would be great!)
1 can tomato sauce
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 1/2 cups water
Toppings of your choice. We used shredded cheese, avocado slices, chopped cilantro, more onion, and tortilla chips. Sour cream would be a great topper also I'm just saving it for next time.

In a large pot brown meat and onion and drain off extra fat.

Add remained ingredients except for your toppings and bring to a boil. Once at a boil reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Just remember with a soup full of spices like this the longer you can let it cook the better it is going to be. The spices are going to have more time to develop and really spread through out the dish. Also give it a taste test prior to serving you may find that you want to add a few spices of your own or maybe hit it with some more salt and pepper.

Grab your extra large bowls serve and top with whatever strikes your fancy. Enjoy y'all!

Recipe adapted from: Kraft Food & Family '08 Holiday edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment