Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Peppermint Bark


I will go ahead and admit that I am a bit of a peppermint fanatic. The minute the peppermint mocha coffee creamer hits the stores I stock up, a skinny peppermint mocha from Starbucks melts my hear, I feel everything needs a touch of peppermint butter cream and hello peppermint bark!! In years past I will admit I have been a bit on the lazy side and went for the store bought bark not really knowing how much of a difference in taste there is between the two. Sure I have had the homemade stuff on the rare occasion that it was made for one of our family Christmases but not until I made it this year, for the first time I will admit, that I realized there is a major difference. First of all the thickness of the bark is a little to much for me when it comes to the store bought stuff. Yes I am female and love me some chocolate but I'm not that crazy about a massive hunk of chocolate. Second I feel the store stuff is too much white chocolate and the chocolate on the bottom doesn't get the recognition that it deserves. Third and finally you are bound to the size that is in the package. There are days where you just want a nibble where as others you can't help but eat the whole box and then the guilt sets in! So the remedy to all of this is to make it on your own. It really is a thoughtless process and you can have however much or little you want and can control all the variables that are associated with bark production.

Peppermint Bark

6 oz bittersweet, dark, or semi- sweet chocolate whatever you feel like
6 oz white chocolate
1/2 tsp- 1 tsp peppermint extract
1 cup crushed peppermint flavored candy canes

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place chocolate pieces in microwave safe bowel and microwave to start for 30 seconds, stop and stir. Continue to microwave for 30 second intervals until chocolate is completely melted. Transfer melted chocolate to covered cookie sheet spreading it to the desired thickness. Place cookie sheet in refrigerator for about 30 minutes. If you don't allow time for your chocolate to harden you will end up with swirl bark. Place white chocolate pieces in microwave safe bowel and melt this in the same manner as you did the chocolate. Once white chocolate is melted stir in peppermint flavoring, depending on how strong you want the peppermint flavor to be will depend on how much you add. I have made it with a 1/2 tsp and it provided a more mild flavor where as 1 tsp will provide a stronger flavor (yum :) ). Once peppermint is incorporated spread over chocolate later making sure to cover all of the chocolate. Spread crushed candy canes over the top and place back in the refrigerator and allow to set for about an hour. Once candy is hardened break into pieces. There is no right or wrong way to do this nor is there a right or wrong size. Store in air tight container and refrigerate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment